7 Fun Facts About Cats
- The reason why Siamese cats have a dark mask and dark tips to their feet and tails is because of a gene which causes a reaction, making colder regions grow dark hair.
- Parent cats will sometimes bring maimed animals to their kittens so they can practice their hunting skills under supervision.
- One of the main reasons why most cat species prefer a solitary existence is that the available prey in a given area cannot support more cats.
- Cats only bury their feces when they feel it might betray their den (or house with domestic cats); otherwise it is left as a scent mark.
- The claws of a cat are actually properly termed protractible as opposed to retractable. This is because muscles are required to stick them out, but they pull back automatically.
- Whiskers are used to assess the dimensions in the dark. They also supply the cat with added information when prey is caught and too close to look at.
- Cats have a natural dislike of sweet tasting foods because they are so well evolved as carnivores that they cannot digest sugars very well, they convert fats instead.