A Black Squirrel Or Am I Nuts?

Holy Hot Dogs….I just saw a black squirrel! At first I thought I’d just been chewing on tainted pine bark mulch too long but after running in the house screaming for mom to come see (yep..got in trouble for that again…she thought a hawk ate my brother. No such luck), she told me they are not that “uncommon”. Hmph.

Now, I am not racist but I thought this little fella was kinda freaky. Perhaps his mom mated with a skunk? Anyway, he let me take his picture and he promised to come back if I keep some good nuts at my house. I told him we had plenty….Uncle Harry, Aunt Hilda, Cousin Henry, etc.!

11 Responses to A Black Squirrel Or Am I Nuts?

1. Jeanne N

April 24, 2009 at 7:59 pm

I am an avid nature lover who had never seen a black squirrel until today. How I wish I had my camera with me. I was walking in the Memorial Park area when I saw one up very close. Very cool!

2. Theresa O

February 24, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I was walking in Terry Hershey park and thought I was seeing things. Then, I saw a pair of them. The next time I was lucky enough to snap a good picture of one with my phone while it was eating a nut in a tree 🙂

3. Joe Meezy

March 15, 2011 at 8:16 am

Teresa, I saw a black squirrel at Terrey Hershey Park as well. I thought it had been painted by somewhipper snappers, but know I can be at peace. What a park.. I saw vultures, a hawk, and a huge carp in the Bayou.

4. Patrick

June 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Yeah I saw one today in the heights area by that big elementary school with the dino bones

5. Stephanie

April 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm

I saw a black squirrel at Burroughs Park in Tomball back in January 2014.

6. jesse

June 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I seen one too last Tuesday on lone star dr in magnolia

7. Jennifer

July 16, 2014 at 12:24 pm

My jaw dropped the 1st time i saw 1 too! So i googled it and read they’re very common up north. They’re yankee squirrels! =)

8. tiffany

February 6, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Yes I just saw one the other day and I live in spring!

9. Myla

August 11, 2016 at 12:24 pm

I just turned in a baby to Texas Wildlife Rehab and they were surprised by how dark and he is…and suspect he is a black squirrel.

10. Joan Johnson

August 31, 2017 at 8:41 pm

I saw a black squirrel today as I took my puppy to the park in Houston, thought I was crazy , he was jet black from head to tail. No brown anywhere. Cool! Hope I see him again I’m gonna take a picture.

11. Joan Johnson

August 31, 2017 at 8:45 pm

I was shocked to see a black squirrel, didn’t know they existed, wanted to take a picture but I was in the middle of the street, I hope to see it again since it’s so close to my house here in Houston. Maybe I can get a picture then.