Giving Thanks to our Special Friends
Posted on November 28, 2012 By lightfootway ADOPTIONS, BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT, BIRDS, BLOGS, CATS, DOGS, HEALTH, HUMAN INTEREST, NATURAL HEALTH, NATURAL MEDICINE, NATURAL PET HEALTH BLOG, PET OWNERSHIP, TRAINING, UNCATEGORIZED
It is important to remember to give thanks to the animals in our care. After all, they are our special friends. But they are also our teachers. So these are some things to keep in mind as you give thanks to your beloved animals. Follow these tips to deepen your relationship! You may find some ideas that you have not thought of.
· Don’t wait to talk to your animal. Do so while they are with you. You do not want to have to say one day “I wished I would have said this to them when they were alive.”
· Talking to your animal out loud is so important to them. Animals are sentient beings and they have feelings just like we do. Talking to them shows you care and that they are an important part of your life.
· Believe it or not, they can understand you. (Now whether they always want to listen is a different story, especially when you are trying to correct a behavior. Now if you are talking to them about a behavior – tell them what you want them to do, not what you do not want them to do. Sometimes they don’t hear the “no” and think you want them to do the behavior you are trying to get them to stop. Remember, focus on how you want them to behave.)
· Tell your animal “thank you” for all they have done for you. “Thank you for the special walks, for laying beside me when I’ve been sick.” You can play catch up if you haven’t been telling them thank you. But remember to do it now and whenever you appreciate them. Don’t wait.
· If you have never told your animal they have a forever home, do so NOW. So many animals do not realize they have a forever home, even if they have lived with you for years! A lot of emotional/behavioral issues are a result of animals wondering when their next move to a new place will be. If you are fostering an animal, tell them you are looking for their forever home so at least they know.
· Tell them how your day was. They enjoy a conversation with you.
· Tell them your dreams, your fears, anything on your mind. Really, they have been tuning into you ever since you got them and want to hear from you on a regular basis.
· Remember that some animals need help understanding their role in your life and what you want from them. Some animals need you to tell them what their role is, such as “you are my companion” or “you are my guardian”. They may need you to explain to them what you want from your relationship with them. So if they seem lost or confused and you have told them it is there forever home, make it clear to them what you expect from them.
· Do not worry that you do not know what they are saying. Do not let that stop you from talking to your animal. The main thing is that you talk to them.
· Yes, anyone can learn to “hear” what they are saying. This is inside ALL of us. It is just a matter of waking that up. (If you ever want to know what they are saying back to you, this is when an animal communicator can be of help or better yet, learn animal communication yourself.)
· Do something special with your animal. If you normally take them for a 30 minute walk, take them for an hour walk. If you never have massaged your animal, start offering them a massage. If you normally play with a toy with your animal, come up with a new way to play. If you have a set routine where your animal goes on the same walk or you ride your horse the same method or you train your animal the same routine, change it up and do something different. Enrich their minds and find THEIR passion, not just yours.
· And lastly, tell them how much you love them and thank them for their love for you. For some people, animals are their very best friend because they are the one being that they know will never let them down. Animals allow us to be ourselves and accept us for who we are. True unconditional love.
So even though Thanksgiving is over for some of us, please remember that animals are pretty amazing and we need to think of them as having an intelligent mind, a loving heart and a deep soul that reaches the depths of our own.
Consider learning more about natural ways to care for your pet at www.thelightfootway.com and look at our available workshops coming up that can help you with choosing your pet’s diet or helping him or her with any emotional issues.
Make holistic animal care a way of life, not a last resort!
Blessings to you and the animals you love!
The Lightfoot Way's mission is to enhance the well being of families, animals, professionals and individuals by sharing knowledge and providing support for the body, mind and spirit. We offer services with the goal to help achieve happier, healthier, and longer lives. Holistic care is a wonderful complement to traditional health care. By taking a natural approach, people and animals are cared for as a whole - on a mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual level. Through our educational workshops, consultations and products, you will gain the knowledge to change your life. Please join The Lightfoot Way in empowering people and animals...heart & soul!