What’s in Your Pet’s Dog Bowl? Avoid the Toxins
Did you know that many commercial mixed diets are not always consistent and the ingredients may change over time as manufacturers change their formulas? This can be hard on your animal’s health. If it is a fixed formula, ingredients are listed on the bag. But if the bag has a tag or label, most of the time it is not a fixed formula, which means the ingredients can change and you may not be aware.
For all animals, avoid, if at all possible, the following:
- chemicals like BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin, menadione (dimethylprimidionol sulfate), propylene glycol, propyl gallate
- other foods such as artificial colors, flavors, corn syrup, sugars and salt.
- For dogs and cats, avoid by-products. They are the meat product that is left over like hooves, heads, feet, beaks, etc.
- Stay away from general ingredients like “animal” fat or “animal” meal and look for a known source like beef.
- Dogs and cats can’t digest corn in any form and many animals have sensitivities to it. Many animals are allergic to soy, also.
Pet Food Alerts
Vets are reporting kidney problems in sick dogs from sweet potato jerky treats, tenders, chips, twists, wraps, etc. from China. Symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, decreased appetite, increased thirst and urination may show up hours or days after treats are consumed. The brands implicated are Beefeaters Sweet Potato Snacks for Dogs (16 varieties of yam-related treats), Canyon Creek Ranch Chicken Yam Good Dog Treats (Nestlé Purina), and Dogswell Veggie Life Vitality (4 varieties). If your pet is sick from a sweet potato treat or chicken jerky treat (chicken treat issues started in 2007 and since then there have been reported deaths) made in China, get them checked out by your vet. It is best to avoid foods from China.
Nature’s Variety is doing a voluntary recall of their Prairie Beef Meal & Barley Medley Kibble for dogs due to an off-odor smell that may develop over time. The products are not contaminated but some are not remaining fresh. You can get a refund or exchange from your retailer. If you have questions contact the consumer relation’s team at 1-888-519-7387.
Consider learning more about natural ways to care for your pet at www.thelightfootway.com and look at our available workshops coming up that can help you with choosing your pet’s diet or helping him or her with any emotional issues.
Make holistic animal care a way of life, not a last resort!