Spring Clean the Natural Way for Your Pet
- Did you know that many household cleaners contain toxic chemicals that not only affect your cat or dog physically, but can also create behavioral issues you may never have realized. Be aware of what you are putting on your floors and carpets – while fragrances are great for us to smell they can be irritants for pets, especially cats, and may be the cause of some allergies. Another source for allergins is detergent. Many detergents are highly fragrant and very harsh on skin. If your pet sleeps on a bed (or your bed) that you wash with a strong detergent it could cause skin irritations. I suggest these alternatives to household cleaners:
- Mrs. Meyers natural detergent and cleaners
- Baking soda and essential oils for carpet freshness
- Lemon or rose water with lavender for the floors.
- Clean the counters with vinegar, water, lemon and an essential oil of your choice. Muscle testing is the best way to find out which oil would be best.
Outdoors can be toxic, as well, to our pets with the use of pesticides, coco mulch and aggressive flea treatments. Instead of chemicals try these natural ways to protect your pets and your garden from fleas and parasites:
- Sprinkle food grade Diatomaceous Earth on your pets, your lawn, your plants and litter box. It helps get rid of fleas, ticks,acts as a natural dewormer and neutralizes odors. You can sprinkle on their food (make sure you get food grade) to keep parasites away and to provide helpful minerals.
- Create an essential oil mist – fleas, mosquitos and ticks do not like the scent of such oils as lemongrass, eucalyptus, cedar, citronella and or geranium. Add neem oil to it to soften and condition the coat. Learn more about creating these recipes in our upcoming aromatherapy workshop .
- Use the essential oil sprays or mists to spray on garden plants to keep the insects off. Roesmary is a great essential oil for this – plant a rosemary bush every few feet to keep the insects off the other plants.
- A vinegar and water mixture will kill weeds without toxicity.
Try some of these natural and holisitic ideas this spring and consider learning more about natural ways to care for your pet at www.thelightfootway.com or click here for our FREE holisitic animal care ebook.