The next thing I’d like to talk about is how you can help you pet with energy work such as reiki for animals. Everyone has the ability to heal inside of them. It is not something just for the gifted. Many people are learning how to do energy work such as reiki because they’ve heard such wonderful stories of healing. It has grown in popularity in the US and is offered in hospitals such as MD Anderson. Animal shelters are becoming more aware of animal reiki and are finding how helpful it can be with the animals in their care. There is even a Shelter Animal Reiki Association (SARA).
Energy work can help on a physical, mental, emotional or spiritual level. By learning certain techniques, you can increase the effectiveness of your energy work. Reiki is simply one form of energy work that originated in Japan by Dr. Mikao Usui. While anyone can do energy techniques, reiki involves receiving an attunement (Japanese symbols) from a reiki teacher. I do believe there is something about the symbols that has the ability to increase the effectiveness of the energy work.
So what on earth is “energy work”? Well, most people have heard of the Chinese word “chi”, as in Tai Chi. Chi is the life energy that runs through our bodies and the bodies of our animal friends. If the life energy is low, one is more likely to get ill. Energy work consists of any technique that helps to increase the life energy in the body. Besides reiki, you may have heard of other methods such as healing touch, Qigong and EFT.
Keep in mind that most illness and disease is a result of emotional blockages in the body. If you think about it, it is not that hard to realize how something deep down can manifest into something undesirable, whether it is memory from long ago or more recently. And yes, animals can hold on to unpleasant memories, too. And yes, some times they do it to ultimately teach us a thing or two. Energy work such as reiki helps to release these blockages. Consider all of the many incredible benefits such as:
- If there are emotional issues due to a traumatic situation such as abuse, neglect, abandonment, or an accident, reiki can help release and heal those emotions.
- If there are behavioral issues such as nervousness or hyperactivity, reiki can help to relax and reduce stress and anxiety.
- If there are physical issues such as illness or injury, reiki can help to heal more quickly.
- If facing a serious illness or injury, reiki can bring comfort and be a great complement to traditional treatment. It can help with stress, pain, and reducing negative side effects from treatments such as radiation and surgery.
- If facing surgery, reiki given prior to surgery can lessen the amount of anesthesia needed and help the post-op recovery to be faster and smoother.
- If facing death, reiki can bring peace and comfort to you and your beloved pet during this difficult time. Reiki helps to relax so they are not afraid or struggling to stay a part of our lives and you are able to let them go.
What is really cool about some energy work such as reiki is that you do not have to touch a person or animal’s body to actually offer the energy. You certainly can if you want to, but it is not necessary. As a matter of fact, animals can be very sensitive to energy work and prefer you to help them from 5 feet away or even across the room (which is all you really want to do if an animal is timid to begin with). Other times, especially after you have offered them several sessions, they may position their body near you to tell you “Heh, work on my rear please!” This actually is a common area dogs like to have energy work done, often positioning their hindquarters near your hands. Cats on the other hand tend to enjoy soaking up the energy if you are working on someone else nearby. They tend to be more sensitive in that they get a lot of energy from just being in close proximity to a person or animal that is receiving energy.
Here are a few simple techniques of how you can offer energy work to your pet:
- Tap your collarbone to raise your energy level. This is an ancient technique and something you can do when you are feeling tired.
- Rub your hands together to briefly warm them.
- Intend that the healing energy is for the greatest good.
- Hold your hands by your sides with palms facing outwards towards your pet. If easier, sit on the floor.
- Intend for healing energy to go to your animal. You can even think of a healing color you like such as lavender or gold.
- If your animal is receptive, you can place your hands with palms facing downwards above your pet’s body. If that is too much for them, you’ll notice they’ll walk away from you. Then you can just offer from a distance like when you started out. They’ll stop when they are comfortable.
- To help with discomfort or illness, you can put the hand you write with towards the ground and the other hand above the area of concern. Intend that the discomfort or illness is coming out of them, going through you, out your hand that is pointing towards the ground and disintegrating. This is a very popular technique for both people and animals.
I hope this helps you to understand energy work a little better. Try it out! If you want to learn more about reiki for pets, consider coming to a free consultation or taking a reiki workshop if you are in the area. Don’t forget to email me with your questions or any health or behavioral issues you would like help with!