Check out these trick training tips:
1. Have a good basic obedience foundation.
2. Reward with small, soft, delicious treats.
3. Timing. Mark the exact moment your dog is in the correct position. You can mark the moment with a clicker, a word, or a treat. Remember that dogs live in the moment and you have about 1.3 seconds to catch them in the act.
4. Be100% consistent.
5. Set your dog up for success. Remember that your dog doesn’t speak your language. What if someone was asking you to do things in a language you didn’t understand? If you see her struggling or becoming discouraged, take a step back to an easier step and let her succeed.
6. Always end the training session with success and while your dog still wants more. Short, frequent intervals of training are best.
7. Motivate with a jolly routine and happy voice. Act like a fool, be a Silly Willy!
8. Be patient and take it easy! All dog training is a life long process. It doesn’t happen over night. If you get frustrated or impatient, your dog will pick up and may go into shut down mode. Take a breath and take a play break.
9. Practice a little bit every day. Repetition is key.
10. Have fun!
“You may have a dog that won’t sit up, roll over or even cook breakfast, not because she’s too stupid to learn how but because she’s too smart to bother. ”
Certified Canine Trainer & Behavior Specialist
Professional Dog Training in Houston, TX
Become a fan of Get Along Little Doggie on FACEBOOK!