Urinary conditions can result from inflammation of the bladder wall, bacteria spreading to the urethra and simply, a dry food or kibble diet. Urinary issues are actually a symptom of a kidney issue because the bladder and kidney are sister organs. There are many holistic methods that you can consider to help what can be a chronic and stubborn condition.
Always remember that great health starts with great nutrition. Most people don’t realize dry food is a big culprit in urinary conditions, especially with cats. Dry food only provides about 12% moisture. Cats need 85-95% moisture in their diet. A raw or canned/wet diet for both dogs and cats can help to prevent urinary issues from developing into kidney disease. Grains can also cause issues as most dogs and cats do better on a grain-free diet. Some other food supplements to consider are:
- Ester C 500mg-3,000mg may help.
- 2 tbsp cinnamon powder and 1 tsp honey added to 4 oz warm water can destroy germs in the bladder.
- Hydrangea tea can dissolve stones.
- Putting 1 tsp – 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar in a pint of water or mixed in food may help.
- Marshmallow is an herb that can aid urinary issues. Tinkle Tonic is an herbal tincture containing this herb.
- Kidney Support by Pet Alive is an herbal supplement that may help. (Click on Pet Alive tab on the website and view their wonderful animal products.)
The way to find out what is the best diet, including what proteins and supplements, is through muscle testing. Keep in mind that it is hard for the body to be healthy if you are feeding foods that are depleting the body. If you do not know how to do muscle testing, you can learn with our 31 page instructional ebook with photos.
Homeopathy often used successfully with urinary conditions. Cantharis is used for urinary infections without blockages. Thalaspi bursa pastoris may help with urinary obstruction. Apis is used when concentrated urine is passed in small amounts. UTI Free by Pet Alive is a popular homeopathic remedy. (Click on Pet Alive tab and you can view their animal products.)
Consider learning more about natural ways to care for your pet at www.thelightfootway.com and look at our available workshops coming up that can help you with choosing your pet’s diet or helping him or her with any emotional issues.
Make holistic animal care a way of life, not a last resort!